The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) licenses and regulates the movement of household goods and personal effects, within the state. Earning the right to work as a household goods carrier did not come easy, as some might, otherwise, believe. Aside from going through a rigorous application process, which required proving our financial and safety fitness, we also had to prove our ability to thoroughly comprehend applicable rules and tariff-rate tables, designed to address all possible moving scenarios. Among other requirements, we also had to take and pass a mandatory 7-hour examination with a minimum 80% score.

I'm making note of this for the primary purpose of having you, our prospect, appreciate the fact that when you hire a mover you should proceed with caution and forethought. Knowing that your chosen mover operates legally elicits a higher degree of trust and confidence that your move will be completed safely and efficiently and at a cost that's fair and equitable. In the same way you wouldn't hire an auto-body repairman to set a broken leg or a bus driver to pilot a 747, you should only move forward with your decision after ensuring that the mover is properly licensed and insured - this is the only way to have complete peace of mind, especially, as your agreement is consummated, and work begins.

Here's a list of absolutes that will help you distinguish a licensed mover from one who is non-licensed (FYI: Many California-based movers are either inactive or never qualified for a license, altogether):

  • • Complete a Fictitious Business Name filing with the county clerk
  • • Pass the multi-part Max-4 examination, with a minimum 80% scoring average
  • • Fingerprint scan and criminal background clearance (i.e., Calif. Dept. of Justice, FBI)
  • • Present documented proof of truck maintenance and related safety records
  • • Procure a valid motor carrier permit, as issued by the DMV
  • • Acquire a Pull Notice Contract from the DMV(data-base access to driving records)
  • • Proof of Personal Liability Insurance; electronically filed with the CPUC
  • • Proof of Property Damage Insurance; electronically filed with the CPUC
  • • Proof of Cargo Insurance; electronically filed with the CPUC
  • • Proof of Workmen's Compensation Insurance; electronically filed with the CPUC

Verify Your Mover of Choice Has an Active License and Insurance:

Unlike BPM (CAL. P.U.C. T-191400), roughly 80% of moving companies based in Calif. operate, Illegally, without holding an Active License or the required insurance coverages, in accordance with state law, and as administered by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).

Consumers should never ignore or minimize this reality when deciding who they'll hire to manage their move. Movers operating illegally without the required licensing credentials or insurance coverages are subject to as much as a $10,000 penalty. You ABSOLUTELY cannot operate as a professional mover, within the state, without maintaining an active CPUC license and required Insurance coverages.

Follow the steps, below, to VERIFY a particular mover HOLDS an active CPUC license and insurance:

1) Click the logo below to launch the CPUC'S web site

CA Gov

Follow instructions below to read if the CPUC confirms that a particular mover is licensed:

2) Fill in the radio button labeled, "MTR"

3) In the box labeled "CARRIER NAME" enter MOVERS FULL NAME

4) At the upper right-hand corner of the Look-Up-Page hit the submit button

5) Results will automatically appear showing status of the license / insurance coverages.

Interested in our professional moving services?

Get in touch with us